Please note that visas should be obtained prior to departure for France and any Schengen countries. The granting of visas does not confer the right of entry and is subject to the discretion of the immigration authorities.
What is the Schengen Area ?Read more
The Schengen zone is a designated area that consists of 26 European official member states, which have signed the accords governing the Schengen area. The following countries constitues the Schengen area.
Austria, Belgium, Czech-republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland.
France has overseas territories known as the DOM and CTOM regions for which you might need a visa.
- DOM regions : Guadeloupe (Saint Martin, Saint Barthélémy), Guyane, Martinique, La Reunion
- CTOM regions : French Polynesia, Mayotte, New Caledonia, St Pierre & Miquelon, Wallis & Futuna, TAAF region (Terres Australes et Antarctiques Françaises)
South African Passport holders Read more
A South African passport holder does need a visa in order to enter the Schengen zone and the DOM/CTOM territories.
A South African passport holder transiting in more than one airport needs to apply for a visa even without exiting the airport.
If you are in one of the following case you don't need to apply for a visa :
- You are a diplomat traveling on official capacity : South African Diplomatic/Service Passport holder with a note verbale do not need a visa to enter the Schengen zone and the DOM/CTOM Regions..
- You are traveling to Reunion Island : South African passport holders are not required to obtain a visa for trip up to 90 days to Reunion Island.
- You already have a valid Schengen visa and you are traveling to France : If you hold a valid Schengen visa which covers your entire trip to France or other Schengen countries you don't need to apply for a new visa. If the visa expires during your planned trip you need to apply for a new visa.
- You have a valid Schengen visa and you are traveling to DOM/CTOM : If you have a Schengen visa issued by any French authority which is valid for more than 6 months then you don't need to apply for a visa. Please make sure however you didn't use all of the 90 days allowed on your visa (Check how to use a visa).
- You are transiting in one airport and don't plan to leave the airport : If you are transiting through one of the Schengen area airport but you don't plan to leave the airport then you don't need a visa. If you transit through two airports or plan on leaving the airport then you need a visa. Please note that if you transit between Paris CDG and Paris Orly you must have a visa.
Non South African passport holders Read more
The following nationalities need a valid visa when transiting in the Schengen Area (even without leaving the airport), when visiting any of the Schengen state and when traveling to any of the DOM/CTOM territories.
Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Central African Republic, Congo (DRC) Dominican Republic, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ghana, Iran, Iraq, Nigeria, Pakistan, Philippines, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Togo.
However, if any of the following requirements is met you will not need a visa to transit (if you don't exit the airport) :
- if you already hold a valid residence permit issued by Andorra, Canada, Japan, San Marino or the USA guaranteeing their unconditional readmission.
- if you already hold a valid Schengen visa, a national long-stay visa or a residence permit issued by a Schengen state.
- if you are family members of an EU citizen.
- if you travel using a diplomatic passport.
- if you are flight crew members who are nationals of a contracting party to the Chicago convention or international civil aviation.
The following nationalities need a Schengen visa in order to enter the Schengen zone as well as any French DOM/CTOM territories :
Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, South Africa, Saudi Arabia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Banglandesh, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Belarus, Burma (Union of Myanmar), Bolivia*, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central Africa, China, Comoros, Congo, Congo (Democratic Republic of Congo), North Korea, Cotes d'Ivoire, Cuba, Djibouti, Dominican (Rep.), Egypt, United Arab Emirates, Ecuador , Eritrea, Ethiopia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Equatorial Guinea, Guyana, Haiti, Hong Kong*, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazahstan, Kenya, Kyrgyzstan, Kosovo , Kuwait, Laos, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Macedonia*, Madagascar, Malawi, Maldives, Mali, Morocco, Mauritania, Micronesia, Mongolia, Montenegro*, Mozambique, Namibia, Naura, Nepal, Niger, Nigeria, Oman , Uzbekistan, Pakistan, Palestine, Papua new Guinea, Philippines, Qatar, Russia, Rwanda, Solomon (Islands), Sao tome and Principe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somaliland, Sudan, south Sudan, Sri Lanka, Suriname, Swaziland, Syria , Tajikistan, Tanzania, Chad, Thailand, Togo, Tunisia, Turkmenistan, Turkey, Ukraine, Vietnam, Yemen, Zambia, Zimbabwe
For nationalities with a * it depends of the type of passport. We recommend you to contact us to check your personnal case.